Get A FREE Hit Counter
hit counter code html

Saturday 16 June 2007

Stephen King ' Gerald's Game '


Ever now and again I treat myself to my favourite author, and this one didn't disappoint, it shows his skill as an excellent story-writer; again, he sucked me into the book.
The story in a nutshell is: Jessie and her husband Gerald drive to the couple's lakeside holiday cabin, miles from any sort of civilisation (can't happen in the UK ha ha). They went there to enjoy a bit of bondage, and while Jessie is handcuffed to the bed, her husband dies. She is alone, chained, and no-one to help. This is the story, but just wait what SK makes out of it. There are the grisly bits (the dog, the drinking glass), but worse then anything else are the monster's in Jessie's mind - or is it only her mind? I did get a bit annoyed with those voices in her head at times, but in retrospect, they are vital for the story. And --- spoiler --- the book has one of the best psychological discriptions on child-abuse I ever come across. He really made me see how the victim can feel guilty and ashamed, and how the whole thing lies dormant , but obv. never goes away. Anyway, this is only a story within the story, there is plenty else. a pageturner.

0 comments:

 

©2009 The Pegster | by TNB